Sunday, January 30, 2011

Nursery

From the moment I knew I was pregnant, I started looking at crib bedding. Unfortunately, I didn't like much of anything I saw. Look, I'm not your typical girl, so I need something that's different, funky and cute. I don't want teddy bears and Disney characters. When I helped my friend, Jenelle, make her crib bedding, I decided to make my own, too. So the hunt was on for the perfect fabric.

And I found it. I fell in love with it the moment I saw it and there was nothing that was going to change my mind. Before ordering it online, I went to my locally owned fabric store, Sew to Speak, to see if they had it or if they could order it. To my surprise, the lady at the store told me the fabric was Australian and they didn't order Australian fabric because it was much too expensive. Uh oh. When I took a closer look at the website, it was indeed an Australian site and the price was per half meter. Gulp. I needed at least 4 yards (approx 4 meters) and that was going to cost me a small fortune, not including shipping. But I said to hell with it and ordered it anyway because my kid is totally worth it. I bought enough for one half of the crib bumper and a little extra for other projects. And seriously...the fabric couldn't be anymore me and my husband. It's the freaking cutest thing on the planet and I think Waylon will LOVE it.

So his nursery is based on this fabric. We decided to paint one wall orange and the the other three walls turquoise and have navy blue accents (curtains, rug, etc.).

The first task was to empty the room. We were using it as a closet, so we had a lot of clothes to move and get rid of. Then a close friend of ours, who just happens to be a professional painter, painted Waylon's room as a gift. How awesome, is that?

Now it was a matter of getting the motivation and finding the time to put the crib and dresser together. I'll be honest...I'm in TOTAL nesting mode, so I was SO ready to get this room together ASAP. Unfortunately, my husband did not have the same sense of urgency as I did. But I really didn't have to wait too long because he knew I was getting antsy. So this weekend was it!

And of course after everything was set up...I realized that I didn't really have as much room as I thought I did. I still need to get a changing table and glider. We also still need to paint the bookcase, get some pictures/paintings on the walls, and sew the curtains. I'm sure I'm forgetting something...but the room is about 80% finished and I'm excited about it!



1 comment:

  1. It is so cute I just can't stand it! I love the fact that you have painted the walls different colors. Waylon's room is going to be the coolest one ever!

    ReplyDelete